Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Juniper in the Desert

God is omnipotent. The first time I ever heard those words, I learned that He was everything I would ever need; everything. God encompasses all things; there is nothing left out. The dictionary defines omnipotent as all-powerful, possessing complete, unlimited, or universal power and authority. God has the final word. The world can be falling apart around me, but God is in control. He always has been. He always will be. God is omnipresent. He is everywhere; continuously and simultaneously throughout all creation! He is present all the time, in all places. Why do I worry if God is omnipotent and omnipresent? Fear and doubt accomplish nothing but good toward the enemy and anything but good for me. What if I surrender completely to God and His omnipotence?

Would it be possible for me to trust Him completely and remain still, resting in His care, no matter what? Would I truly believe that He would tread down my enemies and allow me to live valiantly as Psalm 60:12 so encourages? There is a place; a secret place where I can go to find refuge and safety in the One who protects me with the strength of a fearless lion, yet is as gentle as a lamb, providing me with serenity and peace, even in a storm.

Like the strong and tenacious juniper tree, I want to thrive in the desert. Like the rare tree that grows through rock, without water, twisted and without direction, living and blooming in barren landscape, I want to flourish where God plants me. Even if I am tired, afraid and burdened, even when there seems to be no way, I want to push through the rock and reach for all God has for me. The unique juniper tree had purpose. In all its' imperfections, God used it. He created it to be different from the other trees for a reason; He used it as a place of refuge, "He lay down and slept under a juniper tree; and behold, there was an angel touching him." 1 Kings 19:5. God, in His omnipotent power, is the source of my strength, joy, peace, hope and love. When I seek Him, praise Him, trust Him and take refuge in Him, I will find ways in which He will use me and become like a juniper in the desert.

Bloom and be blessed!
Marie

1 comment:

  1. Oh so good Marie!! While we often FEEL like a Juniper tree, we fail to recognize that in HIS hands we are refuge, we can and will be a blessing in this barren land!

    ReplyDelete